Health Care Construction Risk Management
Published: 01-Aug- 2011 | Product Category: Other
| Comments: 0
Health care construction projects carry complex risks for all involved—including owners, design firms, and contractors—that can increase dramatically when construction takes place near an active facility. These risks may continue long after project completion. Too often, owners rely on other project participants to manage and fund risk, only to find themselves inadequately protected when something goes wrong.
Marsh helps owners identify the range of risks to project participants and develop a team-based approach appropriate for their circumstances to help control losses and minimize the impact of adverse events while providing improved financial protection.
Managing the Full Spectrum of Health Care Risks
Health care construction involves myriad potential complications, from environmental contamination (including MRSA bacteria) and disruption of hospital operations to construction accidents, defective work, design errors, and contractor default. With owners ultimately responsible for the consequences of an adverse event—including damage to your organization's schedule, budget, reputation, and trust—an active, team-based approach to construction risk management is a critical business practice.
Marsh provides access to a highly experienced, nationwide network of risk consultants and brokers who pool their expertise to help you in your efforts to identify and manage the full spectrum of health care construction risk. We focus on helping you reduce overall project risk rather than simply transferring the responsibility or consequences of risk.
Whether you seek to promote collaboration and risk sharing among all project participants or to define and enforce individual accountability, we offer solutions for both insurable and uninsurable risk. From risk evaluation to loss control, loss mitigation, insurance, and other services, we provide customized solutions to meet the specific needs of your project.
Marsh health care construction risk management clients typically receive:
- a detailed risk profile of your project;
- evaluation of your existing approach to risk control, including contractual requirements, procedures, and insurance;
- strategies designed to manage risk, including cost/benefit analysis of available risk treatment options;
- advice on an appropriate insurance program structure, including specific coverages, retention levels, and coverage amounts as well as assistance for owners in securing favorable rates and terms; and
- access to expert risk consultants in the fields of hospital risk management, environmental liability, professional liability, construction management, safety, and claims.
If one party fails on a construction project, the whole team suffers. That's why Marsh provides a detailed assessment of the risk to all participants. We examine risks arising from the operating environment, project participants themselves, and project scope, including specific health care-related dangers. We then assess the consequences individually and in combination to help you prioritize and manage them appropriately.
Once risks have been identified, we work with all participants to implement loss control strategies that are designed to help reduce overall project risk. We recommend solutions in such critical areas as communication among members of the design and construction teams; safety of workers, third parties, and property; follow-up inspection and maintenance; and rights and responsibilities upon project completion. We help you formulate contract provisions that delineate which entity will assume on-site control of risk, standards, and protocols for all participants, duties in an emergency, and other key expectations.
Should a loss occur, immediate, decisive action can often mean the difference between a manageable setback and a catastrophic event. Marsh can help you put in place procedures designed to help lessen the severity of an adverse event. For example, we can help you formulate a detailed emergency response plan designed to provide for the protection of persons and property; orderly evacuation; notification of police, fire, medical and other emergency personnel; and communication with the media. We can also help you with other mitigation strategies, including the development of a return-to-work program for injured workers and the presentation of claims in compliance with insurance policy terms and conditions.
Insurance underwriters reserve their best terms and conditions for those projects and companies that actively manage risk. Marsh can help you implement an active risk management program, determine what insurance coverage is needed, and which project participants are in the best position to buy it. We then help you, the owner, secure your needed coverage at competitive premiums by presenting a strong case to insurers.
We can also help you coordinate limits, deductibles, and coverages among all project policies. We offer expertise in critical areas, including:
- environmental liability (including mold);
- professional liability and owners protective professional indemnity (OPPI);
- property coverage/builders risk insurance;
- surety/subcontractor default insurance; and
- wrap-up insurance programs (OCIPs/CCIPs).
Marsh offers the following loss control and mitigation services as part of a robust risk management program or individually as needed:
- environmental and natural hazard risk assessment and quantification;
- construction emergency response planning;
- behavior-based safety programs;
- material integrity services;
- forensic accounting and claims services;
- dispute resolution services; and
- claims consulting and advocacy.
Rate this Article
Leave a Comment