Clinical HealthCare Consulting
Published: 02-Apr- 2007 | Product Category: Risk Consulting
| Comments: 0
The risk of severe losses from malpractice claims and other incidents continues to increase for health care organizations. New risks, including those arising from advanced medical technology, more potent medicines, an aging population, and increasing industry transparency are compounding the financial exposure. Marsh helps health care organizations in their efforts to assess, reduce, and manage their professional liability exposures. Using a range of risk and quality reviews, programs, tools, and expert resources, we help you provide a safer patient environment and reduce the number and severity of malpractice claims.
Our highly experienced clinical risk consulting professionals have worked with countless health care facilities across the country. We know what to look for and how to implement best practices to help reduce your risk. We focus on identifying potential issues to help you fill the gaps in your risk and quality programs. Our tailored solutions can also potentially help you reduce your insurance premiums and obtain better rates in connection with mergers and acquisitions.
Clinical Risk Assessments
Marsh provides on-site, global risk assessments designed to help identify your greatest exposures. Our assessments focus closely on areas with the largest loss potential, including obstetrics, surgery and anesthesia, emergency departments, and general nursing care. Our assessment typically includes:
- Interviews with department directors, physicians, employees, administrators, and others;
- Review of clinical documents, including policies and procedures, committee minutes, medical records, credential files, personal records, risk management plans, incident reports, contracts, root cause analysis (RCA) and failure mode and effects analysis (FMEA) findings, loss runs, and more;
- Observations of staff, facility, environment of care, and procedures; and
- Written report that identifies gaps in performance, assigns a priority to the problems, and offers recommendations for improvement.
Focused assessments on specific areas can be conducted when problem areas are identified or when claims have been unusually high in number or severity.
Detailed Risk Reduction Plans
As part of your overall clinical risk assessment, Marsh provides action plans for implementing strategies that address identified risks. Our action plans help you prioritize risks, identify immediate steps designed to reduce those risks, and measure whether strategies are working. The action plan generally includes a summary of the issues and recommended solutions and identifies the person responsible for the action, timelines, tracking, and follow-up. We provide resources that can improve your processes, including policies, plans, procedures, best practices, and sample forms and documents.
Accreditation and Regulatory Assistance
A key component of reducing risk is ensuring that clinical practices meet the accreditation and regulatory benchmarks that are continually being established and updated. With our extensive knowledge of these expectations, we can help you in your efforts to turn standards compliance into a competitive advantage. We assist with:
- Resource and development assistance with the Center for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS):
- Pay for performance (P4P) initiatives;
- Implementation of the Joint Commission's National Patient Safety Goals;
- Implementation of the Institute for Healthcare Improvement (IHI) "Protecting 5 Million Lives from Harm" campaign;
- Accreditation preparedness and support;
- Earning of "certificates of distinction" from the Joint Commission as well as other awards and recognitions; and
- Regulatory risk management programs.
Interim Risk Management Staffing
The vacancy of a risk manager position can have a dramatic effect on your organization as other staff members attempt to keep up with risk management responsibilities. Marsh can assist you in maintaining a strong, effective risk management program by providing qualified staff on an interim basis to carry out day-to-day risk management activities while implementing proactive risk initiatives. We take a consultative approach, serving as a member of the administrative team and making recommendations to enhance your clinical risk management functions. The depth and direction of services provided is individually designed to meet your needs and goals.
Rate this Article
Leave a Comment